7/5/22 – Exton, PA – Applications for United Way of Chester County’s Mobile Home Tax Reassessment program will close on July 15, 2022. Partnering with Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, LCH Health and Community Services and local food pantries, the Mobile Home Tax Reassessment program offers assistance to mobile home owners in Chester County to file property tax reassessment appeals. United Way of Chester County and its partners will do all the work and pay the fees on behalf of the homeowners in the program.
Mobile homes depreciate over time, unlike other forms of real estate. Because the tax assessment system makes no provision for that reality, mobile home taxes are accurate only in the first years after purchase and become increasingly inaccurate each year thereafter. Ultimately, some of these homeowners end up with a tax liability several times higher than reasonably expected. Mobile homes are the only form of property that require periodic assessment appeals to maintain equitable agreement to actual value.
“This program saved my family over $1,100 in taxes and I cannot express how much we appreciate what United Way of Chester County has done for us. It is a blessing to see that our community is being looked out for,” said Patti, 2021 program participant.
Since 2019, the Mobile Home Tax Reassessment initiative has:
- Assisted in 756 successful appeals
- Lowered those mobile home assessments by 70% from $26 million to their actual assessed valueof $8 million
- Saved each mobile home owner an average of $883 on their annual taxes
- Collectively saved these mobile home owners $6.7 million over the next 10 years that they shouldhave never owed to begin with if not for a flaw in state tax code.What is the process to apply?To be considered for the 2022 reassessments, visit www.UnitedForMobileHomes.com and fill out the 2022 reassessment form. Once the form is complete:
- United Way of Chester County will contact the client to schedule an intake appointment with a representative from Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania. The deadline to fill out this form is July 15, 2022 as the Chester County Reassessment filing window is May 1- August 1.
- A paralegal will complete the forms and will contact the client for their signature.
- A volunteer from United Way of Chester County will take photos of the home for documentation.
- All forms will be submitted between May 1- August 1, 2022 to the County Reassessment Office.
- Clients will be notified of the results of their reassessment appeals in October 2022.If you recently appealed your taxes, you should wait between 2-5 years to reappeal, based on the year of your mobile home. To learn more about the Mobile Home Tax Reassessment project, view a video about it, participate in the project or make a donation to support it, visit www.UnitedForMobileHomes.com or call 610-429 -9400
- To learn more about the United Way of Chester County, visit www.LiveUnitedChesterCounty.org